ALTERNATIVES? YES! LEGALIZATION? NO
First, read our April 2016 report summarizing the way forward on global drug policy in preparation for the Special Session of the U.N. General Assembly.
Second, see the call from global scientists about the dangers of cannabis here.
Third, see this report (and here in Spanish) on how legalization in Colorado and Washington has resulted in public health and safety harms.
Fourth, the following document from Drug Policy Futures succinctly outlines other aspects of our policy position:
- In English: http://drugpolicyfutures.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ENG-final.pdf
- Spanish: http://drugpolicyfutures.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/SPN-final.pdf
- French: http://drugpolicyfutures.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/02-98-14-Alternatives-Yes_fr.pdf
- Arabic: http://drugpolicyfutures.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/02-98-14-Alternatives-Yes_AR.pdf
- Chinese: http://drugpolicyfutures.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/02-98-14-Alternatives-Yes_SC.pdf
Fifth, the following presentations given at side events during the April 2016 Special Session of the U.N. General Assembly contain valuable information on the dangers of drug legalization:
- Dr. Kevin Sabet, Ph.D., Smart Approaches to Marijuana, “The U.S. Experience with Cannabis Legalization”
- Dr. Sean LeNoue, M.D., University of Colorado School of Medicine, “The Blunt Truth: Exploring the Impacts of Cannabis Regulation: A Colorado Perspective”